Saturday, September 13, 2008

...like an idiot to a hurricane...

The media has been called many names during this presidential campaign. Sexist pigs. Left-wing hate-mongers. Elitist Liberals. How about just plain "idiots." Janet and I are laying in bed last night watching the coverage of Hurricane Ike, when it dawns on me how foolish these people really are. There was Geraldo, standing on a frigging beach in Galveston, Texas trying to do a report while 100 mile-per-hour winds are blowing past him, the water is visibly rising behind him, and debris is sailing past his body so fast the camera can hardly pick it up. The satellite feed keeps going out intermittently, he can hardly stand up, his toupe is clinging to the last bit of scalp glue (or whatever they use to keep those rugs on), and he just won't shut up. I don't wish ill-will on anyone but I found myself hoping that a two-by-four would sail past and smack him in the head.

This is indicative of the vulture media we have today, ruining every decent news item by overkill. Why do these reporters feel the need to stand outside in the middle of a hurricane? Why can't they report from an indoor, safe structure that has a window where we can see what's going on outside? Heck, buy each reporter a frigging Pope-Mobile. They can drive around in the glass with the microphone in hand, reporting as the debris sails harmlessly past their reinforced, bulletproof God-box. After all, don't most of these media elitists think they're right on par with the Pope anyway?

To me, all these fools are really doing is showing that they WANT to be brave. They want to be heroes to the eyes of the public, so they elect to run outside during a wind-storm to do a report that really tells us nothing new. We aren't stupid. We can see the wind blowing. We can see the water rising. When a 26-foot charter fishing boat goes sailing past the camera I know how serious are the winds of a hurricane. I don't need Geraldo taking ten minutes to tell me what I can gather by sight in a few seconds.

Leave the heroism to the men and women who are keeping us safe and free from Obama, er, I mean Osama bin Laden and his band of merry terrorists. And when one of these reporters does get biffed by a two-by-four and ends up de-domed on television, I don't want to hear that he/she was a hero. Although that would be some good watchin.'

Now that that's out of my system, I can concentrate on the price-gauging that is going on at the gas stations.

Stay tuned.

DC

No comments: